20th edition of Vietfish expo opens in HCM City

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 08:16

A booth at the 2018 Vietfish exhibition. The event has attracted 233 exhibitors from 14 countries and territories. — VNS Photo Thu Ngan

The country’s premier fisheries expo, the Viet Nam Fisheries International Exhibition, returns to HCM City 30 per cent larger than when it debuted in 2008.

The event, hosted by the Viet Nam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers (VASEP), opened on August 22 at the Sai Gon Exhibition and Convention Centre in District 7.

In its 20th edition this year, the annual event, with the theme “Asia’s Home of Seafood”, has attracted 233 exhibitors from 14 countries and territories.

The organisers said the exhibition this year has been expanded by nearly 200sq.m from last year with 7 per cent more exhibitors.

Vietnamese companies are once more showing off their potential as leading fisheries exporters.

Some 66 per cent of the exhibitors are domestic, organisers said.

Of the participants, 55 per cent are in aquaculture and services while the remaining 45 per cent sell machinery and equipment, chemicals, additives, and cold storage.

Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Vu Van Tam said: “For 20 years, Vietfish has been one of the most prestigious specialised trade fairs in Asia, an important trade destination for key players in seafood trading, processing and aquaculture.

“From VASEP’s initiative to establish a trade fair and introduce Viet Nam’s seafood products to the world, today the exhibition has become a gathering place for international trade exchanges.

“It has attracted a large number of seafood stakeholders from and outside the country.”

The current trend of ASEAN and international integration, where opportunities are associated with challenges and competition is associated with co-operation, are important motivations for the fisheries sector to constantly innovate, he said.

“We have gone through a successful development phase, but I hope seafood businesses and entrepreneurs will constantly improve and innovate to meet today’s tougher demands in the world market while staying prepared to face new challenges.

“In the new context of the fourth industrial revolution, Viet Nam is strengthening its co-operation with the region and the world, and deepening international integration through the signing of new free trade agreements.

“This promises to open up international co-operation and investment opportunities, thus taking Viet Nam’s fisheries industry to new heights of modernisation.

Vietfish offers visitors the chance to cook and taste dishes made from shrimp, tuna, squid and octopus.

It will feature several conferences that discuss critical issues.

The expo will go on until August 24. — VNS

Comments (0)